Friday, September 25, 2009

And so it begins...

I gave my first lecture today, here in Sydney. It went pretty well, I think, in front of a small but very receptive audience. Earlier in the day, I had taken the water taxi from McMahon's Point in to Circular Quay. I then wandered around town looking for a Mini D USB cable so that I could download pictures to this blog. The last such cable I spent $7 on, but here they wanted $35! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend the money. It's quite galling when you know that you already have four or five of the darned things at home!! I had also hoped to acquire another Akubra hat, but they have gotten very expensive. Maybe I can find one cheaper elsewhere.

While waiting for the water taxi I took a number of photos of a huge cruise ship coming in to dock in the port of Sydney. It dwarfed the Opera House as it went past, and just seemed to scrape under the bridge.

One of the great joys of this evening was to meet up again with William Lai, the owner of Will's Quills in Chatswood, near where I'm staying. I knew him when I was last here and it was wonderful to see him again. Other than having a little less hair, he seems exactly the same as when I last saw him twenty years ago. We shall have dinner together on Monday and he'll try to get a few of my acquaintances from my last visit to join us then, too.

I hope to have the wherewithal to download all my pictures in the next few days. My first workshop, "Letters From Hell" begins tomorrow with thirteen people in the class. I look froward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment